Discuss

Do you need help with your table tennis game? Post a topic and get advice from Tom Lodziak and other forum members.

Notifications
Clear all

When should I upgrade my equipment?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
chung.lao
(@chung-lao)
Topic starter  

Currently I am playing with the Ma Lin Extra Offensive, which is a wooden blade. I am tempted to get a composite blade which is hopefully faster, although my current setup is already fast enough in about 70% of scenarios. On the other hand, my backhand is lacking a bit of power, although it could be due to my technique and/or physical fitness rather than the equipment.

How do I tell when I'm ready, or need to upgrade to something faster?

Tom Lodziak
(@tom-lodziak)
Member Admin

If you are seeking more power and speed, it is usually best to focus on your technique. 99% of the time it is a technical issue, rather than an equipment issue. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with testing out a new blade or new rubbers (other than the cost!). Maybe with a different blade you will find it a little easier to play certain shots and get a little more speed. I don't think there is ever a 'right' time to upgrade. You just have to do it and see if you like it. If it doesn't work out, put the blade to one side, keep working on your technique and then try the same blade again a few months later. I've made loads of purchases over the years. Some good. Some didn't work at all. You have to experiment before you find a set up you really like.

ReplyQuote
IB66
 IB66
(@ib66)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @chung-lao

Currently I am playing with the Ma Lin Extra Offensive, which is a wooden blade. I am tempted to get a composite blade which is hopefully faster, although my current setup is already fast enough in about 70% of scenarios. On the other hand, my backhand is lacking a bit of power, although it could be due to my technique and/or physical fitness rather than the equipment.

How do I tell when I'm ready, or need to upgrade to something faster?

Hi Chung-lao

What rubbers do you use?

Can you post a video of you playing? it's easier to give advice if we can see you play. How can we 'Tell when you are ready' if we haven't got an idea for how you play, standard etc.

As a side note, I play with a defensive speed blade, that has carbon layers, 9 ply. the carbon layer is to increase sweet spot, not speed. the rubbers are Rakza Z / Z EH, I don't have any issues putting the ball away speed wise!! 

I have seen people post that an upgrade from wood to carbon has increased speed but decreased spin, This is a technique issue, more speed less spin = less control as well, when it comes to topspin loop, spin is your friend, dragging ball onto the table, so you could see less consistency when looping and loops with less spin if your technique isn't good

ReplyQuote
chung.lao
(@chung-lao)
Topic starter  

@ib66 I was using Yasaka Shining Dragon and Razka 9.

I decided to get new rubbers first before consider getting a new blade. I just put Tibhar Evolution MX-S and Xiom Omega VII Euro on my YEO. Let's see how they play!

ReplyQuote
IB66
 IB66
(@ib66)
Eminent Member

@chung-lao 

I think it was a good decision to keep your blade and change rubbers!! Keep trying to improve technique, power and therefore speed can be increased with coaching and improvements to your technique.

ReplyQuote
Share: