Discuss

Do you need help with your table tennis game? Post a topic and get advice from Tom Lodziak and other forum members.

Notifications
Clear all

Controlling my nerves

5 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Tom Lodziak
(@tom-lodziak)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have been struggling lately with my nerves in league matches / tournament matches. It's very annoying. I feel I have improved over the past 6 months and in practice matches, I am really happy with how I play. But in my proper competitive matches, I'm still getting too tense. I'm pretty sure that my mind is too concerned with whether I will win or lose and this is making me stiff, my shots jerky and I get too passive. 

In a league match last night, I tried a different mental approach. I gave myself a goal of executing 5 successful 3rd ball attacks in every match. In the hours before the match, I focused entirely on visualising these 3rd ball attacks. Did it work? Well in my first match, I was still too tense, so this was disappointing. But in my next two matches, I did manage to achieve my 3rd ball attack goal, and as a result I was much more positive, focused and generally relaxed during most of the rallies.

I didn't actually manage to win any of matches last night (doh!). I lost two of them 3-2. But I was much happier with my performance. 

I'd be interested to know from others about how you control your nerves in matches.

Vim Fuego
(@vim-fuego)

Don't be rushed. Take time between points and in that time remember you have a life outside of this table tennis match: A family, friends, work and other hobbies. Remember this between each point and it will help you regain perspective befroe you have a quick think about how you sisualise the next point happening.

ReplyQuote
chung.lao
(@chung-lao)

Posted by: @vim-fuego

Don't be rushed. Take time between points and in that time remember you have a life outside of this table tennis match: A family, friends, work and other hobbies. Remember this between each point and it will help you regain perspective befroe you have a quick think about how you sisualise the next point happening.

Good advice.

In addition to taking the time when I am nervous/losing, I also try to speed things up when I have the momentum 😉 

ReplyQuote
Hibs1875
(@hibs1875)

This is a useful post. I returned to TT just over 3 years ago, following a 30 odd year break. I’m playing in my first tournament in 35 years, in a few weeks time. It’s really to assess my level and understand what I need to do to improve. The plan is to learn from the experience of the tournament, the losses, but most of all enjoy it. I really don’t know what awaits me, so I’m a little apprehensive. I’m keen to do myself justice. Therefore the above advice applies to me. If anyone has any other advice for me…feel free to offer it.

ReplyQuote
Tim2022
(@tim2022)

My tip is to forget about winning or losing - that's what puts the pressure on. Just concentrate instead on doing your best. At the end of the day that's all you can do. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you won't, but as long as you can say to yourself 'I did my best', you can sleep well. During play don't think about the match score; just the next point. You can only play one point at a time. Watch how the tennis greats handle their big matches..

Nev57 and Tom Lodziak reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: