Discuss

Do you need help with your table tennis game? Post a topic and get advice from Tom Lodziak and other forum members.

Notifications
Clear all

Serving in doubles

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Omega
(@omega)
Topic starter  

Have read your article on serving in doubles Tom and used your tips to good advantage.  Would like to know how to deal with a receiver who stands in a backhand position in the corner, has a good backhand, and can move. What serves work for you in that situation Tom?

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Tom Lodziak

Tom Lodziak
(@tom-lodziak)
Member Admin

If my opponent has a strong backhand attack, I will serve short heavy backspin close to the middle 80% of the time. I want to stop the player attacking and give my partner a fighting chance of playing the next shot. When this works, my opponent initially tries to attack, but misses and then reverts to pushing. I have contained his/her attack and forced a more passive return. Then occasionally I will use a long, fast serve. It's a little risky against a strong attacker, but if the player is expecting a short serve, it can force an error.

If my opponent has a strong backhand push, but not a strong backhand attack, I will vary the serves much more. I will mix up backspin, sidespin and topspin. This sort of player will try to push everything, so will often pop up a topspin or sidespin serve, giving my partner an easy attacking option. 

ReplyQuote
Share: